Thursday, January 7, 2010

What do you want for dinner tonight?

I love to eat. And I love to cook and bake, too. And I particularly love to cook or bake for people. My main target/audience/guinea pig for my food experiments is my Hubby. Many people think that this must be limiting for me, as Hubby is a vegetarian. Pair that with me keeping Kosher, and many people just can't understand what we eat! (My grandmother used to constantly ask - with a look of combined concern and somewhat displeasure - "So all he eats is vegetables?") To the contrary - I am always on the lookout for new things to try, as well as creative ways to make traditionally meat dishes become new vegetarian ones.
With this in mind, as well as in hopes of minimizing the above question of what to make for dinner, and also to make grocer shopping a less frequent endeavor, we came up with the oh-so-original idea of doing weekly meal plans. (I know, not exactly a new thing to anyone, but...) While it has only been two weeks, I so far love the weekly plan!! Using the circulars, we get to think about what we would like, and what is going to be the best way to eat well and save money. And in some ways I get to be even more creative in the kitchen - since I have all day (or as long as Little Girl will give me) to cook, I can make things that take a little longer or have more steps. I can spread the dinner making process out, and not feel rushed.
Even with these great plans, things, of course, get wonky. Me being me, I try to make sure we are eating somewhat healthily. So when Hubby took egg salad for lunch on the day when we had planned quiche for dinner, I wanted to switch things up. (Ok, not entirely for health reasons - I want variety, and eggs for two meals in a row just doesn't cut it!) And, because Hubby is so great, he pretty much doesn't care what I make, he is just grateful to have someone cook for him. (It works well - he does the dishes, a job I don't love doing!)
Once I get a functioning battery in my camera, I can take some pictures and show some of my more creative dinners. Including that quiche, which we will finally have tomorrow night!
There is only one problem. I no longer ask what we should do for dinner, but what is in question is dessert... What a yummy problem...

No comments:

Post a Comment