Thursday, August 12, 2010

Blueberry Inspiration

I don't know about you, but I get my cooking and baking inspiration from just about everywhere. I am one of those people who will look at a food item, recipe, picture, whatever, and pretty immediately start thinking "How would I make that?" Yesterday Little Girl and I took a trip up to my in-laws for lunch, swimming, and a LOT of love and fun. Despite the fact that this is family, and I knew that there would be plenty of food, I am just no good at showing up places empty handed. So I started thinking about what I could bring... My inspiration this time was the yummy pint of blueberries I had sitting in the fridge. I tried looking for some blueberry crumb cake recipes, but nothing really grabbed me. Then Aunty Twin reminded me of something she had made and posted recently: Blueberry Breakfast Cake. True, she made hers with strawberries, too, but it still looked pretty quick, easy and delicious. She even came over to help me bake and brought me the lemon I needed... What a sister!!

The biggest (intentional!) change I made was to use only brown sugar. You know me, I love the stuff...! I also used soy milk instead of "real," but that is par for the course for me, so I don't really consider that a change!
When I came time to make the streussal topping I also used brown sugar. I really had meant to follow the directions, but I did use a little too much margarine. So instead of having a crumb type topping I had a creamier topping that spread on almost like frosting... I wasn't worried, I was just curious how it would turn out!!

The cake smelled AMAZING while it was baking! All warm and berry-ish... I was really excited to cut into it...! Unfortunately for me, it would have to wait until we got to dessert the next day with the family!

As we were driving, I realized that the cake was "supposed" to have a powdered sugar drizzle on top of it. I had totally forgotten... I knew I could have asked my sister-in-law if she had some, but I decided that it wasn't worth it... (We didn't wind up missing it, so no big deal!!)

The cake turned out great. Moist, not too sweet, and the "crust" streussal topping was just fine! This is a great all-purpose cake - dessert, breakfast, snack... it would work for anything! So thanks, Aunty Twin!! You know I'll be looking to you for inspiration again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment