Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Daring to do it: Doughnuts

The October 2010 Daring Bakers challenge was hosted by Lori of Butter Me Up. Lori chose to challenge DBers to make doughnuts. She used several sources for her recipes including Alton Brown, Nancy Silverton, Kate Neumann and Epicurious.

This was a great challenge. A lot of fun, allowing for a TON of creativity...! But it has also been a VERY busy month in our family. We are (still) in the process of moving into our new home, and things have been a little nutty. So, while I did completer the challenge, and enjoyed it greatly, I did not have the chance to be nearly as creative as my fellow Daring Bakers. PLEASE check out their amazing work here! So this post is going to be text-light and picture heavy...

To sum up the process - I used the Alton Brown yeast dough recipe provided and let it rise overnight. Little Girl was a great help mixing the batter together. The dough was stickier than I has expected, given the comments of of some of my "cohorts," but it worked well. I do not have a doughnut cutter, nor do I have biscuit cutters. So I used a drinking glass to cut the doughnuts, and the back of a piping tip to cut the holes. I shallow-fried everything, and dipped some in cinnamon-sugar while coating the rest in a vanilla glaze. The doughnut holes were dangerously good - it was way too easy to just pop one in my mouth as I passed by!




































































And, finally, the finished products!!













Lori, this was so much fun. I can not wait until Hanukkah when I can use this recipe again to make my sufganiyot!!




5 comments:

  1. I love your excitement it really shows, and your photographs are wonderful well done on this challenge. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum Yum! I didn't have cutters too for my first batch and like you I also had way too many "tastings" :) Your donuts look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking doughnuts! Very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those thingies look good! I see you also have a little helper to aid you in the kitchen :-) Greetings from Madrid!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy chubby donuts! What a great fun with your little one! Great job!

    ReplyDelete