Thursday, August 11, 2011

S'mores going on than you know!

Amidst the craziness that is having a two year old and a two month old, I really am keeping up with crafting and cooking. And not just for the Daring Kitchen!! It is just the blogging part that seems to fall by the wayside. Hopefully one of these days I will catch up on some of the more interesting and amusing projects we have undertaken... But today's, for a couple of reasons, had to get posted. (This was not something I had planned, ergo the lack of pictures from the process...)

A good friend came over for dinner tonight. Someone we had not seen in a while, and we had missed, so I wanted to make something special. Well, when you ask Little Girl what she would like to bake, her usual answer is cupcakes. Which she said today. So I searched for cupcake recipes. I kept seeing s'mores cupcakes, and I thought that sounded both yummy and fun. I found this recipe for cupcakes that I liked. It looked easy enough and also didn't call for any ingredients I didn't already have in the house. Instead of using Nutella like the original poster used, I made my favorite quick fudge icing for the chocolate layer, and for the marshmallow frosting I used my fluffy white frosting recipe. While the finished cakes looked nothing like s'mores (not that there was any thought they might!), they were really quite cute, and I was excited to try them. In Hubby's words, they are a little more understated that expected - they are not overwhelmingly sweet, and the marshmallow frosting really brings out the "s'mores-ness" of them.



Now the reasons why I had to post these... It turns out that yesterday was National S'mores Day. Why there is a National S'more Day is beyond me, but who am I to question a day celebrating gooey, chocolaty goodness? And how did I find out that it was National S'mores Day? My sister, Auntie Twin posted about it on her blog this evening - having made s'mores cupcakes of her own!! Apparently this twin thing had its mojo working today! It was just too much fun to pass on the post, so here it is, in all of its s'mores-y goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment