Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Surprise! Doughnuts

So, do you remember Eve, my sourdough starter from the December Daring Bakers' challenge? I have been having a lot of fun playing with "her" and seeing what we can make together. Well, it turns out I am not the only one! A few of us, including my sister at C Mom Cook and Jenni from The Gingered Whisk, decided that it would be more fun to play together. Introducing: Sourdough Surprises! If you love sourdough, or if you want to love sourdough, come and bake with us! Every month we will bake something together using our sourdough starters, learning more and basically just having fun!
This month, for the inaugural surprise, we made sourdough doughnuts based on this recipe. The recipe itself looked great. I just am not a huge fan of deep fried anything. I mean, the taste is yummy, but it is just a lot of oil, and mess, and... yeah. So I decided to bake my doughnuts.
I started by mixing my dough together:
Then it was time to cut the doughnuts, Not having a doughnut cutter, I had to improvise...
Once baked, there was nothing left but to break on in!

I would like to try these again, since the taste was very good. I think I need to try a shallow frying method, though, since I didn't get the lift I would have hoped for. These were definitely worth it, though...!

If you want to play with us, please do!! Check us out at Sourdough Surprises, and bake along!

1 comment:

  1. Great job, Ruth! I am glad you tried baking your donuts - I really wanted to try that method as well as the frying. Your donuts look great!

    ReplyDelete